Tips to maintain your air conditioner with the help of HVAC pros
There are a few routine household maintenance chores that pay off more than keeping a maintenance schedule for your air conditioning unit. This will help you to stay cool and you’ll also save money on your energy bills. Here are a few tips to maintain your AC.
1. Clean or replace your filter
– Replacing your AC filter is one of the most important maintenance chores.
– It should be done every month during high use seasons.
2. Check wiring and components
– Before working on your AC, always turn off the power unit.
– Remove the access panel on your condensing unit to see if there are signs of overheating.
– Take note whether there are melted insulation on wires or burned looking wires.
– Check electrical connections to make sure they are tight.
– Take a look at contactor switch and replace if you see excessive pitting.
3. Examine Thermostat
– Check your thermostat to make sure it’s working properly.
– If you have an older thermostat, consider upgrading to a programmable model.
– Programmable thermostat allows you to set the temperature higher when no one is home.
4. Check condenser unit fan
– Check the fan on the top of the outside condenser to see if it’s in good condition.
– Replace the fan blades if there are any cracks or ships visible.
– The fan motor of an old AC unit will also need to be oiled regularly.
5. Clean outside unit
– Shut off the power to the unit and use a garden hose to wash out debris.
– Do not use a power washer and take care not to bend the delicate fins of the coil.